Disclosure: travellye.com is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (paid link)
There are many places to see in Perth. There are various intriguing areas outside the city to investigate more. The majority of day trips from Perth are short road trips from Perth. Let’s explore Thrilling Perth Day Trips around Perth.
Is The Perth Day Trip Worth It?
Perth is nicknamed “the most isolated capital city globally” due to its geographic area between the coast and desert. With a quiet population of about 2 million residents, Perth is not meant for rambunctious party-goers. Instead, tourists looking for a peaceful haven away from bustling city life should choose this beautiful city. Nature lovers will also enjoy its proximity to nature.
Reason To Visit Perth
Five compelling factors to visit Perth, Western Australia. Perth has a lot of parks, nature reserves, and beaches, so it should come as no surprise that wildlife is always close. Go for a walk through any city park, and you’ll be ‘entertained’ by groups of unruly bright rosellas, galahs, and cockatoos. The islands around Perth also have a lot of wildlife.
Best Time To Visit
September, October, or November is the best time to visit Perth because the city is ablaze with spring’s colours and scents, and there are no rainy days. From December to February, Perth’s summertime is characterised by scorching temperatures.
- Transportation: Return transportation from Perth to the road trip objective.
- Directed Visits: Guides who are knowledgeable and can assist you in improving your experience and learning new things.
- Activities: various attractions and activities according to the specific day trip itinerary.
- Lunch: a delectable lunch provided or recommended by a nearby restaurant.
What’s Not Included
- Personal Costs: Any private buys, trinkets, or extra tidbits.
- Activities Not Required: Additional attractions or activities not included in the day trip package.
Remarkable Day Trips From Perth
There’s an endless list of destinations to choose from! Are you interested in a tropical island paradise? Rottnest Island has white-sand beaches, crystal-clear water, and enjoyable water sports. Do you want a view of rolling hills and fine wine? Swan Valley is unquestionably the ideal location.
- Far from Perth: 4 hours approximately
- Ideal for: History buffs and photographers
Let’s approach from afar first. Wave Rock is the farthest of the Perth day trip destinations on this list, but the long drive is well worth it. There are a lot of legendary stone developments around Oz, yet it sticks out. The 15-metre-tall granite cliff is a great place to take a picture because it looks like a wave frozen in time. Mulka’s Cave is also where you can see ancient rock paintings that tell the story of an Aboriginal legend.
Why visit Wave Rock when you can likewise investigate the encompassing regions? On the visit, you’ll see the interesting design of York, come by the Canine Graveyard, and obviously, visit Wave Rock.
- Far from Perth: 3.5 hours approximately
- Ideal for: Photographers
Journey down south from the city to discover one of the most captivating caves in Australia. Located 20 minutes from Margaret River, Lake Cave features an entrance from the ground of an underwater forest. Inside, you’ll spot crystal formations made even more picturesque by the lake. Then, there’s the main event — the huge Suspended Table that hangs from the ceiling and stretches to the cave floor.
- Far from Perth: 2 hours approximately
- Ideal for: Instagram-worthy shots
Pinnacle Desert is one of the best places to spend a day in Perth and is in the centre of Nambung National Park. It looks like something out of a big-budget sci-fi movie, with striking limestone formations and golden sand that stretches out to the horizon. No matter where you go, you’ll be greeted by breathtaking scenery and animals like emus and roos. But when there are many colourful wildflowers in the spring, it looks especially stunning.
Take a day trip to see the glittering stars and make the most of your time away from the city lights by staying until night. It’s a great time to take pictures of the constellations with your camera.
- Far from Perth: 1.5 hours approximately
- Ideal for: Lovers of quokkas and beaches
Rottnest Island is a well-known destination for Perth road trips, which is as it should be: the adorable quokkas. The grinning marsupials are local to the island and its most famous fascination. Every visit to Rottnest is finished with snapping a selfie with the charming animals. However, besides the animals, the island offers many activities, including fishing, swimming, and snorkelling.
Do you want to discover the island’s entire offering? Take a scenic train ride to the Henrietta Rocks and the quokkas on the Rottnest Island day trip to see the essential sights from the top of Cape Vlamingh.
- Far from Perth: 1 hour approximately
- Ideal for: History buffs and hikers
Quick to get away from the clamouring city life? For a change of view, go to the Avon Valley. History buffs will enjoy seeing colonial architecture in York, Northam, and Toodyay and browsing craft stores for souvenirs. The Avon Valley national park is excellent for nature lovers because it has great views, flora, and fauna throughout the year.
- Far from Perth: Less than an hour
- Ideal for: Laid-back cruises
Mandurah is one of the most accessible day trips from Perth because it is less than an hour from the city. You’ll understand why it’s called “the meeting place of the heart” after one visit. While the city’s winding canals will bring back memories of Venice, the city’s diverse marine life is very Australian. Catching blue swimmer crabs, which are native to the area, and spotting bottlenose dolphins along the waterways are two activities you can try.
- Far from Perth: Under an hour
- Ideal for: Animal enthusiasts
Stay for the incredible marine life and the stunning white sand beaches. If you enjoy animals, you should go to Penguin Island. You can cruise to see dolphins and sea lions or snorkel to see the vibrant corals and fish. Yet, just visiting the island is finished with seeing the world’s littlest (and cutest) penguins! A surefire way to see them is to take advantage of the feedings at 10:30 a.m., 12.30 p.m., and 2:30 p.m.
Take the Ultimate Aussie Wildlife Day to up the ante on your animal adventure. Tour! In addition to seeing penguins, you’ll take a glass-bottom boat ride, meet the kangaroo, wombat, and koala residents of Caversham Wildlife Park, and enjoy an interactive farm show.
- Far from Perth: 45 minutes
- Ideal for: Nature enthusiasts
Want to get away from the city? Go on a short drive to Yanchep for a day with novel social and regular encounters. At Yanchep Lagoon, you can swim and snorkel to your heart’s content or visit the excellent cafes and restaurants in The Marina. However, the town’s main draw is the Yanchep National Park, which has scenic picnic spots, limestone caves, and great bushwalks.
You’ll visit Nambung National Park to see the stunning rock formations, Lancelin to go sandboarding and eat lobster for lunch, in addition to Yanchep National Park.
- Far from Perth: 30 minutes
- Ideal for: Beer lovers
Do you not like wine? Don’t worry about it. Explore Fremantle’s burgeoning brewery scene by travelling there. As you explore the city, go on a crawl and try different craft beers. Come by the Esplanade Park and ride the Ferris wheel, then search for the North Mole and South Mole Beacons for Instagram-commendable photographs. In Freo, there is never a dull moment.
In a hurry in WA? Take the Fremantle city explorer tour to see everything both cities offer in one day! See every feature, learn about the set of experiences, and get recs from a neighbourhood master.
- Far from Perth: 25 minutes
- Ideal for: Wine lovers
Swan Valley is ideal for an enjoyable getaway with friends Or a romantic day out with your partner. It is one of the most accessible day trips from Perth, east of the city, in just 25 minutes. While the vibrant vineyards provide stunning scenery, the wine steals the show. Pick the quality Shiraz, Chenin Blanc, and petit verdot assortments and appreciate the various flavours.
For the ultimate Swan Valley experience, combine exquisite wine and breathtaking views on a gourmet wine cruise. During this all-in-one tour, you’ll cruise the Swan River, sip wine, munch cheese and muffins, and explore the Sandalford Wine Estate.
Important Information For Perth Day Trips
- Duration: Each day trip has a specific duration, ranging from half-day to full-day excursions.
- Departure Point: Check the booking confirmation or consult with the tour operator to know the designated departure point.
- Group Size: The size may vary, so inquire about the expected number of participants with the tour operator.
- Fitness Level: Assess your fitness level to choose a day trip that suits your capabilities and physical abilities.
- Age Restrictions: Some day trips may be restricted due to safety considerations or activity requirements.
- Accessibility: Inform the tour operator if you have any mobility concerns or special accessibility requirements.
- Weather Considerations: Be prepared for changing weather conditions by bringing appropriate clothing layers.
- Cancellation Policy: Familiarise yourself with the tour operator’s cancellation policy, including rescheduling and refund options.
- Travel Insurance: Ensure you have travel insurance that covers activities and emergencies during your day trip.
- Natural Treasures: Take in one-of-a-kind natural attractions, pristine beaches, and stunning landscapes.
- Wildlife sightings: Experience local natural life, like kangaroos, koalas, and beautiful bird species.
- Culture and History: Learn about Western Australia’s diverse culture and rich history.
- Scenic Roadways: Take scenic drives through the picturesque countryside to capture stunning views.
How Many Days Is Enough To Visit Perth?
Permit yourself for at least three days to encounter Perth, Western Australia. To help you immerse yourself in Perth’s vibrant culture, we’ve selected a few of the best day trips, restaurants, beaches, and activities it offers.
What Is Perth Famous For?
Perth appreciates a more significant number of long periods of daylight than some other capital cities in Australia. Isla Fisher (The Great Gatsby), Sam Worthington (Avatar), Melissa George (Mulholland Drive), and the late Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight) are just a few of the Hollywood stars who were born, raised, or studied in Perth.
What City Is Closest To Perth?
Perth is one of the world’s most remote major cities, home to more than two million people. Adelaide is the closest city, which is over 2,100 kilometres (1,305 miles) away and has a population of more than 100,000.
Is Perth A Cheap City?
Perth is generally considered more affordable than the eastern capitals, except Adelaide. You can expect the estimated monthly costs of combined electricity, water, and refuse bills to average around $299.84 per month for an 85 m2 apartment.
Is It Expensive To Go To Perth?
Australia’s most expensive city is Perth, yet there are a couple of cash-saving tips as an explorer if you know a few little hacks. How to save money in Perth: Keep an eye out for sales because the cost of flying to Perth is usually so high that very few people can go there.
- Do your homework beforehand and pick the day trip that best suits your interests and preferences.
- Dress appropriately. Check the weather forecast before engaging in outdoor activities and dress accordingly.
- Comfortable Shoes: Put on comfortable shoes to walk in and explore.
- Pack the essentials: sunglasses, a hat, sunscreen, and a reusable water bottle.
- Follow Directions Pay attention to your guides’ instructions and follow safety precautions.
- Capture the Beauty of Your Day Trip With a Camera or Smartphone; Make Memories.
- Respect the Environment Contribute to preserving the natural environment by travelling responsibly and minimising your impact.
Perth has a lot to offer visitors. You’ll find something interesting among the numerous day trips. Therefore, what are you waiting for? Begin arranging your excursion today!
Go swimming, snorkelling, and hiking on Rottnest Island if you want adventure. Alternatively, Kings Park and Botanic The garden has incredible views of the city and the Swan River and is a more relaxing option. Perth day trips are ideal for exploring any interest you may have!